Thursday, February 26, 2009

Julie's Antics

Yesterday, I had a call at 8am that I took from home. It was scheduled for an hour, and it took a few minutes longer. By the time the call was done and I got dressed and had breakfast and ready to head to work, Julie said that she was going to take Jacob to see my parents, so I waited so we can all leave together, in separate cars of course.

So here we were, just got on the main road and Julie was weaving between cars to get next to me, when all of a sudden I heard a car honking and I looked in my side view mirror and saw that Julie was parked on the side of the road with the warning signal on.

Naturally I merged to the right lane and got into a side street and stopped to go see what was wrong. As I was walking there I realized what had happened. A couple of days ago the gas light came on. And even though Julie spent the day before taking my mom from one place to another, she never bothered to stop and fill the car with gas.

Yes, indeed, the car had run out of gas. Lovely.

So I did what any person would've done, I reversed my car to get in position to tow her car to the nearest gas station, which was right down the road. So by the time I figured out a place to hook up the tow line on both cars, I had gotten wet because, of course, it was raining.

So, we were on our way to the gas station when the tow cable slid off from Julie's car. So I had to stop and back up again and hook up the cable one more time, in the rain. Great, isn't it?

Well, it gets better. Who do you want showing up when you least want them to? The cops! Yes, of all the times that a police officer was needed, this wasn't. The gas station was in sight, and I wasn't going to stop, even though he started flashing his lights (which at first I though he was being nice and alerting other cars). But he followed us into the gas station and proceeded to inform us that towing a car in town is illegal, which we obviously didn't know. We told him that, yet he asked for our driver's licenses. While he went back to his cruiser to check us out, I filled up Julie's car.

Then he came back and said that this time he'll let us off with a warning, which is kind of what I had expected. So that was good. But that wasn't that.

As soon as I finished up filling up Julie's car, and while I was putting the handle of the gas pump back, and before I had a chance to put the gas cap back on the car, Julie started it! Good thing that nothing happened, but I guess she was determined to put an exclamation point on that not-soon-to-be-forgotten morning.

1 comment:

Julie K said...

Very funny ... well,that's your side of the story.